Falta Re-Election Twist: West Bengal TMC Leader Jahangir Khan Withdraws Candidature Before May 21 Repoll | India News

Spread the love


Last Updated:

TMC candidate Jahangir withdraws from Falta Assembly seat ahead of May 21 re poll.

font
Jahangir Withdraws From Falta Race Ahead of May 21 Re-Poll

Jahangir Withdraws From Falta Race Ahead of May 21 Re-Poll

West Bengal TMC candidate Jahangir Khan has withdrawn his candidature from the Falta Assembly constituency ahead of the re-poll scheduled on May 21.

“My dream was to see this place prosper. New CM Suvendu Adhikari is rolling out new packages for Falta. Seeing this, I am withdrawing my candidature from the upcoming repoll,” said Jahangir Khan. The Suvendu Adhikari-led BJP government came to power in West Bengal defeating TMC earlier this month.

Meanwhile, the Calcutta High Court on Monday agreed to hear a plea filed by the contesting candidate from Falta seeking disclosure of all FIRs registered against him and protection from coercive action before the re-poll.

Falta repoll

The Election Commission ordered a complete re-poll in the Falta Assembly constituency after declaring the April 29, election void over serious allegations of electoral malpractice and “subversion of the democratic process”.

The Commission directed fresh voting in all 285 polling booths in the constituency under Section 58(2) of the Representation of the People Act, 1951. The decision came after allegations of major irregularities, including tampering with EVM buttons and disruptions during polling, which the Commission said had vitiated the electoral process.

The fresh poll has been scheduled for May 21. Counting of votes for Falta will take place separately on May 24.

The decision carries significant political importance because Falta falls under the Diamond Harbour Lok Sabha constituency, considered a major Trinamool Congress stronghold.

News india Falta Re-Election Twist: West Bengal TMC Leader Jahangir Khan Withdraws Candidature Before May 21 Repoll
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More



Source link


Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *