Falta election: Why Jahangir Khan of TMC withdrew from poll race

Spread the love


The repoll in Bengal’s Falta seat was being styled as a ‘Singham’ vs ‘Pushpa’ showdown. But ‘Pushpa’ walked away even before the battle began. The surprise withdrawal of TMC candidate Jahangir Khan, who famously likened himself to ‘Pushpa’ (the role played by Allu Arjun) during his tense face-off last month with Uttar Pradesh IPS officer Ajay Pal Sharma (dubbed ‘Singham’ for his numerous encounters), even left his own party dumbfounded. After all, elections in Falta, a long-time TMC bastion, were just two days away on May 23.

Located in South 24 Parganas, Falta is considered part of the political turf of Abhishek Banerjee, nephew of former chief minister Mamata Banerjee. The constituency faced allegations of electoral malpractice during polling on April 29. The BJP claimed that its party symbol had been taped over or defaced with ink at several booths, prompting the Election Commission to order repolling. On May 4, the results were announced for 293 of the 294 seats, with the BJP securing a thumping win in 207.

WHY JAHANGIR KHAN DROPPED OUT OF FALTA RACE?

With the Trinamool routed, it was believed that the party would go all in to energise demoralised cadres. The Falta seat has long been considered a safe TMC bastion, with the party winning it since 2011.

However, in the run-up to polling, no senior TMC leader campaigned for Jahangir. Neither Mamata Banerjee nor Abhishek held rallies in Falta. This despite the seat falling within the Diamond Harbour Lok Sabha constituency represented by Abhishek, widely seen as the party’s No. 2.

Since Jahangir’s announcement, speculation has erupted on the possible reasons behind his move. It was largely believed that the BJP, which has fielded Debangshu Panda, would win the seat. With Jahangir pulling out of the race, the road for the BJP becomes much easier. The repolling will still be held as the Left (Shambhu Kurmi) and the Congress (Abdur Razzak) have fielded candidates.

Now, it is no secret that Jahangir is a close aide of Abhishek. A crushing TMC defeat in Abhishek’s political backyard will not bode well for the Lok Sabha MP and dent his image. Political experts believe that the TMC could have silently nudged Jahangir to drop out of the race.

The calculation is simple: if the BJP wins, the TMC can argue it technically did not lose as it was not even in the fray. In many ways, it is akin to skipping an exam and later claiming one never failed because he/she never appeared for it in the first place.

Thus, keeping the larger picture in mind, the TMC seems to have tactfully opted out of a battle it was likely to lose.

To be true, Jahangir had little hope. Last week, Jahangir’s close aide and Falta panchayat vice-president Saidul Khan was arrested on charges of attempted murder and spreading violence. FIRs were also filed against Jahangir, following which he was reportedly “absconding”.

However, Jahangir resurfaced in his constituency on May 14. He also approached the Calcutta High Court, alleging that several false FIRs were lodged against him and claimed there were threats to his life. The High Court granted him protection from arrest till May 25.

Following it, the Election Commission instructed the police to ensure that Jahangir could campaign for the Falta re-election.

While Jahangir campaigned under heavy police surveillance for a few days, no senior TMC leader came to support him. In essence, an “isolated” Jahangir had no option other than dropping out.

WHAT BJP SAID ON JAHANGIR KHAN?

However, the Trinamool leader officially stated in a video message that Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari’s promise of a special package for Falta’s development prompted him to take the decision.

“I am the son of Falta, and I want the area to be at peace and grow… The CM has announced a special package for the development of Falta, which is why I have decided to withdraw,” Jahangir said.

The BJP offered a different reason for his backing out. Suvendu, while campaigning for the BJP candidate on Tuesday, claimed Jahangir “ran away” as he would not get any polling agents.

“Jahangir Khan had no other way, as he won’t get a polling agent,” Adhikari told reporters.

On Tuesday, a different Jahangir turned up. The usual swagger was missing. In April, he locked horns with IPS officer Ajay Pal Sharma after the UP cop warned him against intimidating voters.

“Tell Jahangir Khan to behave properly. I will not allow his hooliganism to continue,” a video of Sharma telling the TMC MLA’s henchmen emerged on social media.

Hours later, Jahangir openly challenged him at an election rally, saying, “If you are Singham, then I am Pushpa. Pushpa never bows down.”

Looking at his strongman image and aggressive remarks during the campaign, nobody could have imagined that Jahangir, who once held complete sway over Falta’s politics, would withdraw just before voting. ‘Pushpa’ seems to have lost his swagger.

– Ends

Published By:

Abhishek De

Published On:

May 19, 2026 18:22 IST



Source link


Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *