
CM Rekha Gupta handing a power connection notice to a resident in the presence of North East Delhi MP Manoj Tiwari.
| Photo Credit: ANI
The Hindu Bureau New Delhi
The Delhi government has approved projects worth over ₹1,000 crore to strengthen water management, sewage treatment and water supply systems under its Mission Yamuna initiative, the Chief Minister’s Office (CMO) stated on Sunday.
The package includes new rainwater harvesting structures and the restoration of existing ones to improve groundwater recharge and water security.
The Delhi Jal Board will “appoint four groundwater experts and 10 rainwater harvesting social mobilisers to support implementation,” read the CMO statement.
A major trunk sewer line from Amichand Chowk to the Old Kalyanpuri sewage pumping station in Trilokpuri will be revamped at a cost of nearly ₹57 crore. The over-40-year-old line has suffered repeated cave-ins and technical faults, it added.
The government has also cleared the upgrade of Phase I of the Keshopur sewage treatment plant from 12 million gallons per day (MGD) to 18 MGD at an estimated cost of ₹122 crore. The project aims to ensure treated water meets the latest standards and is reused more effectively.
“In addition, an underground reservoir of 0.72 MGD and a booster pumping station will be built in Shahdara’s Rohtas Nagar at a cost of about ₹27 crore,” said the CMO.
The government has also approved the installation of 12 decentralised sewage treatment plants in Najafgarh under the Centre’s Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation scheme. Estimated at around ₹860 crore, the plants will have a combined treatment capacity of 46.5 MGD and are expected to reduce untreated waste flowing into the Yamuna through the Najafgarh drain.
Chief Minister Rekha Gupta said the government’s priority is to improve civic infrastructure and ensure sustainable use of water resources in the city. “These initiatives will directly benefit lakhs of citizens and give fresh impetus to the resolve of making Delhi a clean, green and water-secure Capital,” she stated.
Power after eight years
Ms. Gupta also met 36 families from Harsh Vihar’s A-3 block who are in the process of getting electricity connections after eight years, said Ms. Gupta’s office. “Electrification work has been completed, and the process of installing electricity meters for eligible applicants is under way. Most demand notes have already been issued,” the statement read.
Ms. Gupta said residents had raised the issue during a public grievance hearing, informing her that many families in the area had been waiting for regular power connections since 2018.
“Coordination was established among stakeholders concerned, and land for installing a transformer was made available,” the statement added.
Published – May 25, 2026 01:06 am IST
